Friday, May 1, 2009

Full Proposal

I remember when I first heard about the public sphere day project, I had absolutely no idea as to what I was going to do for it. I thought about a lot of things, but nothing really interesting came to mind. My mind then went to the thought of women’s rights, and that evolved into wanting to prevent sexual assault from happening. For some reason that just seem to stick with me and I went on to forming an idea around reducing sexual assaults.
I remembered that my friend Joseph was a part of this group called MAARV(which stands for Men Allies against Rape and Violence) and since there was no other group on campus really like them, I decided to go with MAARV. MAARV is mainly a group that helps out in activities related to groups that deal with sexual assault, domestic violence, and is a fairly new group that is still in developing a set goal. I e-mailed Dr. Schroer who is the head sponsor for the group and got the approval that I need for using them for my public sphere project. I figured that it would be a good opportunity for the both of us because I could give information about sexual assault to college kids, and the MAARV name would get more attention.
I have managed to find some really good research on the topic of sexual assault. What I am going to focus on more specifically is the statistics that deal with the college scene and ways to prevent sexual assault from happening to people. I will also focus on the factors of alcohol, and possibly the dangers of fraternities. The main focus will be information directed towards college students because the people I will be distributing the information to will primarily be college kids. I plan on distributing in a number of ways.
The first thing that I will do is make some really simple, but effective flyers to attract people to my table. I will do my best to make sure that what I advertise is not offensive. I will use flyers as my main means of advertisement. When it comes to distributing information directly, I will make up fact sheets and possibly pamphlets for people to take with them. I will include Dr. Schroer’s email because he is an expert on the subject matter. Another thing to attract people’s attention to the table could possibly be a poster or a sign that I make for the table that I am running. I may put a variety of fact sheets for people to take. Possibly one sheet that has in-depth statistics as well as, one that has tips on preventing sexual assault from happening. I will distribute them by simply having people pick them up from the table. Although simple, I feel that my method of distributing information about rape and sexual assault can be really effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment