Friday, February 13, 2009

Autoethnography

Growing up, I did not care for a lot of issues. Even after I began to form my own opinions about issues, I did not really participate in any events, write any letters, or put my opinions out into the public forum, and I still have not. My shyness has rendered me from being able to speak my mind properly. However, since being in college, I have discovered that I'm not as shy as I used to be, and I'm moving towards putting myself, along with my opinions out into the world. There have been many instances where I was able to put my opinions out, but chose not to. Here is one of them.

It was around the time of the fall festival, that my friends and I noticed this sign on the pro-life booth. I cannot remember what it said fully but, it had something to the effect of "Life Chain, Sunday October 12." Now, my friends and I are all pro-choice and my friend Joseph thought about maybe getting people together and protesting the life chain. Now, I know abortion is probably the most cliche thing to protest over, but I personally felt that with this, we could possibly get our opinions known. We wanted to show people that women had a choice and it was their body. In my mind, I felt that we wanted to get people to see the other side of the coin before they fully made up their minds.

However, we did not go through with the protest. We felt that it was a little late to get people organized and it would seem that we couldn't make a real impact with the little group, I felt a little disappointed that we couldn't go on with it, but at the same time I felt relieved because it would be nerve racking to have to stand in front of all those pro-lifers. I also felt a little let down with myself because I still could not express my own personal beliefs to other people. I believe that being shy and the fact that not many people would be there to back my friends and I up are what ultimately prevented me from making my opinions known.

Looking back on the whole situation, I feel that now I could protest them, even if I was just one person. I believe that even if I were the only one to protest the pro-lifers, I could have still made an impact on at least one person with my views. I believe that I am ready to do things that I need/want to make my thoughts public.

1.Do I stay on topic or do I go off?
2.Any grammar errors?
3.If anything sounds weird, point that out to me.
4.Any other mistakes you catch, you should point those out to me as well.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the details about your background and how you felt about the subject of abortion and protesting. I don't feel as if there are any unneeded details in your writing.Obviously this autoethnography uses a personal testimony, but maybe some other rhetorical tools could be used--such as definitions of pro-life and a Life Chain. I also like the organization of this blog. It is chronological, which definitely works for this type of writing. The voice in this blog is definitely casual and conversational--which I like. You stayed on topic well and you kept the grammar errors are very minimal. A few things are worded awkwardly, for example "even if I was just one person."

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i first began to read this, i was confused about of what a "Life Chain" was. By the end of your essay I at least got a good idea. I liked your details throughout your story. You deffinately stayed on topic, and held it throughout. The tone is calm, which makes it very easy to read. Overall, i really liked it, but i felt you could've introduced your idea better by defining things like "Life Chain" Good job though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you start out with identifying your shyness. That is something we all can relate to, and even though we may be pationate about an issue, sometimes protesting it, or fighting about it, is not the right way to handle it. I know there are many times i bite my tongue on an issue for the sake of saving an argument, then i later regret it, your essay really points out how you feel, and gives the reader a better understanding of your situation. It is very relateable.

    ReplyDelete